Connect with Us

  
 
 

About Us

History

DiggLinked InTwitter
print
A group of dedicated parents founded New Avenues to Independence as the Parents Volunteer Association in 1952 to provide educational, vocational and recreational experiences for children with disabilities whose only option was to live in institutions. Recognizing the social injustice imposed upon individuals with disabilities forced to live in institutional settings, the founding parents were determined to establish alternatives. As their children grew and their needs changed, the founders incorporated Parents Volunteer Association in 1956 and pursued community integration through group home settings to provide pleasant living environments for individuals with disabilities and promote the development of daily living skills, physical abilities and interpersonal skills. Thus, in 1971, the Parents Volunteer Association became the owner and operator of the first private, non-profit group home for individuals with disabilities in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. 
 
In the subsequent six decades, the Parents Volunteer Association continued to grow, purchasing eight additional homes and expanding services to include community-based care, transitional respite, children’s programs, therapies, nursing support, recreational opportunities and Mainstream Housing rental assistance throughout Northeast Ohio. In 2000, the Parents Volunteer Association changed its name to New Avenues to Independence, Inc. to reflect the changing demographics of the individuals served and the array of services provided. In 2005, returning to our roots, New Avenues established a Day Services program that expanded in 2007 to include vocational services linking individuals with disabilities with meaningful employment opportunities from area employers.